19 December 2005

Holidays in the States

While this is a blog about my life in Merida, Mexico, I am presently in the States for Christmas vacation as I am creating this blog, so the first entry or two will be of my time here. This is my first blog experience and, therefore, I am unsure of what sorts of things people generally include.

I have been in Merida for over two years. I lived there for almost a year beginning in September of 2001 and then returned to the States to study Spanish and finish my degree. I returned to Merida in October of 2004 and have lived there since.

I originally moved to Merida from North Carolina where I was working as the manager of the direct sales division of a large cable company. I chose to leave my job to become a missionary working with my friends Bryce and Noreen King, as well as Tim Jewett. I have never regretted the decision to pursue my joy and happiness in the only Ultimate Satisfaction that exists. God has been tremendously faithful in meeting my needs and satisfying my soul.

I am presently an English teacher at a junior and senior high school called Centro Educativo Blas Pascal. I teach Mexican students that are in their first year of learning the language which means we are working on the basics. I greatly enjoy the friendships that I have made with the students and faculty and I really like the class time. Education in Mexico is very different than in the States, which means I have to adjust a great deal to have any sort of success. Students are not accustomed to quietly listening to a teacher or to taking notes and studying them. In addition to these obstacles, I generally have to try to teach in Spanish, although my Spanish is not so great. Nevertheless, I have seen kids learning English and, more importantly, showing greater interest in spiritual things.

In addition to teaching English, I also play drums and percussion as part of my ministry. I play at a church called Confraternidad on Sunday mornings and another called Shalom in the evenings. This is a very satisfying part of my ministry.

I am planning to start a Bible Study in English for people who want to practice their English while studying Scripture. I am looking forward to seeing how God will work through this time.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger Bryce & Noreen King said...

Muy Bien! Looks good... you might think about adding pictures.

Enjoy your time at home. We're praying for the big night with your dad. Merry Christmas. We look forward to celebrating New Years with you and Byron... Noreen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home